"I'll away now," spoke the fire-breathed man,
Big as a barrel in tweed and waxed jacket,
Hair, brow, and beard a single riot
The glass lost in his grip set down
And coaxed back to its fellows.
He turned and nodded thrice to those who knew,
Chairs scraped to give him room and,
One shoulder at a time, he left.
My friends still talked. I cupped my hand to the pane
To watch his sturdy gait, and by the gate
Of one ancient frowning terrace alike the rest
I saw him raise a hand and give the post a pat
And a trailed caress, as to a child off to play,
A teary lover, or the bow of a ship
Safe in a hard-won harbour.
In the broad space left at the bar,
I pointed, studied, breathed, drank
For what is spirit if not earth, air, fire, and water?
At the table, my friends laughed. Adrift in time,
I fancied the same stone laid fresh,
Touched by the same hand,
The same rolling steps turning the world ever
Into the wolf-mourned night.
Comments
Post a Comment